Texting on Middle Earth

Lotr6
Lotr7

Agnes February 14, 2011 at 12:35 pm

+JMJ+
This is funny!!!

Thomas February 14, 2011 at 4:36 pm

Actually Sauron needed the One Ring to materialise and to get most of his power back. Also the One Ring in his possession will do for him what he created it to do so long ago… out the other rings under his domination. And since one of the Elven rings is powerful enough to mantain Galadriel’s domain… well you get the picture…

Mike Melendez February 15, 2011 at 5:30 am

Tolkien undoubtedly knew of Lord Acton and his comments around the First Vatican Council. All our popes, even the worse of them, seem to know Who really holds the ring. And He is incorruptible.

Beadgirl February 15, 2011 at 4:28 pm

I’m such a nerd. I didn’t even need the link to wikipedia to know what happened to each ring.

Daniel Latinus February 19, 2011 at 12:51 pm

I’ve read the LOTR five times, and I don’t remember reading anything that said Sauron needed the One Ring to materialize. If I missed it, please tell me where.
I did get the impression that by getting possession of the One Ring, Sauron could control the three Elven Rings, and could see into the minds of those using those rings. And as those rings were being used to preserve Lothlorien and Rivendell, and to rally resistance to Sauron, acquiring the One Ring would have been devastating indeed.
But apparently, there was some link between the powers of all these rings, that destroying the One Ring destroyed the power of the Three. It seemed that at least some who knew the Ring’s lore, harbored the hope that the destruction of the One Ring would free the Three to heal Middle Earth, without diminishing the Elven Rings’ powers.

J. M. J. West February 21, 2011 at 3:24 pm

How it should have ended:

Agnes February 23, 2011 at 8:43 pm

+JMJ+
Too vulgar, West. I could’nt finish it.

J. M. J. West February 28, 2011 at 5:30 am

Sorry, Agnes. I forgot those parts were even there. The punchline, which was often discussed by my friends and me was that they should just hop aboard an eagle, fly over Mt. Doom, and drop the ring.
The departing shot of the short is them flying into the sunset, joking about how crazy it would have been to walk the whole way.

Agnes March 1, 2011 at 10:45 pm

+JMJ+
I always wondered why they didn’t take an eagle. Or maybe Shadowfax! I mean, Shadowfax, in the “Two Towers” left Theodin (did I spell that right??) in Rohan territory, and in just a matter of days, rode into Minas Tirith!