The Answer Is No

in Moral Theology, Science

Neanderthals1 Should We Clone Neandertals?

The scientific, legal, and ethical obstacles

via www.archaeology.org

Chad Myers October 10, 2010 at 7:38 am

Did no one see Jurassic Park? Really. Maybe it’s time for another movie about how nature has a way of getting around whatever silly barriers we put up.

Charlene October 10, 2010 at 10:39 am

I’m sorry, what?
I mean to say: WHAT??!
There are people who are willing to give this serious consideration as a potential “good” idea?
WHAT??!!
Okay, please tell me these aren’t some of the same people who are offended by the number of modern humans on the planet.

Terentia October 10, 2010 at 1:01 pm

“… if you cloned a Neanderthal, that individual would be recognized as having human rights under the Constitution and international treaties….”
Really? there seems to be quite alot of question whether actual humans already here are recognized as having human rights, especially the right to life.
” ‘This is a species-altering event,’ … How much does a human genome need to be changed before the individual created from it is no longer considered human?”
Wow! A species altering event. Some years ago, I came to the conclusion that this is the real goal of the push toward ESR and cloning–human animal hybreds and different classes of humans ala Brave New World.
“if they were so smart, why are they dead?”
Do you ever wonder if there will be anyone left to ask this about us, after we have unleashed the perfect storm of socialist chaos, Islamic jihad and Frankensteinian “science”?

Beadgirl October 10, 2010 at 3:41 pm

In real life? No. Also, why? Just for curiosity’s sake? I’m very curious too, but this seems wrong.
I do love Jasper Fforde’s portrayal of cloned Neanderthals in his Thursday Next novels. He created a fascinating social structure and behavior system very different from humans.

Rocky2 October 11, 2010 at 1:31 am

A marvelous short story worth reading is “The Ugly Little Boy” by Isaac Asimov. A baby Neanderthal is snatched from his time using time travel. The story deals with some social and moral issues regarding his humanity and needs.

Nick October 12, 2010 at 4:28 am

May God give scientists and doctors the gifts of humility and charity.

Robert October 12, 2010 at 8:11 am

No. There are enough right-wingers already.

bill912 October 12, 2010 at 8:29 am

Wow! As a right-winger I’m in awe of such dazzling brilliance! Not to mention, such charity from a member of the “compassionate” left! Thank you for taking a moment from your busy life to condescend to make things so clear to us inferiors.

Gregory Williams October 13, 2010 at 6:30 am

Geico could sue for cloning their trademark.

Crowhill October 13, 2010 at 7:00 am

I’ve always had a soft spot in my heart for the Neanderthals. Jasper Fforde brings them back in some of his novels. That will have to be good enough, I think.