THE CATECHISM OF ST. PIUS X The Apostle’s Creed
The Creed in General
1 Q: What is the first part of Christian Doctrine?
A: The first part of Christian Doctrine is the Symbol of the Apostles, commonly called the Creed.
2 Q: Why do you call the Creed the Symbol of the Apostles?
A: The Creed is called the Symbol of the Apostles because it is a summary of the truths of faith taught by the Apostles.
3 Q: How many articles are there in the Creed?
A: There are twelve articles in the Creed.
4 Q: Recite them.
A: (1) I believe in God, the Father Almighty, Creator of heaven and earth;
(2) And in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord;
(3) Who was conceived by the Holy Ghost; born of the Virgin Mary;
(4) Suffered under Pontius Pilate: was crucified, dead, and buried;
(5) He descended into hell: the third day He rose again from the dead;
(6) He ascended into Heaven: sitteth at the right hand of God the Father Almighty;
(7) From thence He shall come to judge the living and the dead.
(8) I believe in the Holy Ghost;
(9) The Holy Catholic Church; the Communion of Saints;
(10) The forgiveness of sins;
(11) The resurrection of the body;
(12) Life everlasting. Amen.
5 Q: What is meant by the word: “I believe”, which you say at the beginning of the Symbol?
A: The word: I believe, means I hold everything that is contained in these twelve articles to be perfectly true; and I believe these truths more firmly than if I saw them with my eyes, because God, who can neither deceive nor be deceived, has revealed them to the Holy Catholic Church and through this Church to us.
6 Q: What do the articles of the Creed contain?
A: The articles of the Creed contain the principal truths to be believed concerning God, Jesus Christ, and the Church, His Spouse.
7 Q: Is it useful to recite the Creed frequently?
A: It is most useful to recite the Creed frequently, so as to impress the truths of faith more and more deeply on our hearts.