Happy Birthday, Daffy!

in Film and TV

Daffy_duckDaffy Duck made his first appearance April 17, 1937 in the short "Porky’s Duck Hunt" and was an instant success.

Audiences couldn’t stop talking about the screwball duck and he quickly supplanted Porky Pig in popularity.

Porky gracefully recovered, eventually accepting the role of straightman for the daffy duck.

As a prima donna, though, Daffy never recovered when he himself was supplanted by Bugs Bunny and has become obsessed with reclaiming the spotlight he lost to Bugs.

That’s no reason not to pay tribute to a true comic genius, though.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DAFFY!

AgentFresh April 17, 2005 at 3:13 pm

I love the old whacked-out Daffy. At some point he went from being manically insane to being a jerk. I guess the studio changed his meds or something.

Tim J. April 17, 2005 at 4:41 pm

I prefer the newer, grumpier model. The Warner crew got the balance just right by pairing the vain, scheming and irritable duck with Porky (who could be pretty durned acerbic, for a sidekick) and doing send-ups like “Dripalong Daffy” or “The Scarlet Pumpernickel”. Daffy as Robin Hood is also a favorite.
My favorite Disney character also happens to be an angry duck. What up wit dat?

Jeff Miller April 17, 2005 at 5:53 pm

I am surprised Jimmy that you didn’t mention the Babylon 5 tie in to Daffy. Security Chief Michael Aifredo Garibaldi had a love of Daffy who he quoted at least once and had a poster of in his stateroom.

Jimmy Akin April 17, 2005 at 6:40 pm

Believe me, I *almost* titled this post “The Egyptian God Of Confusion” but decided that too few would get the reference.

Jeff Miller April 18, 2005 at 9:50 am

I should have known better that you would not have considered a B5 reference.

Chris Durnell April 18, 2005 at 9:54 am

The early Daffy was such a good character. They ruined him when they changed the character to be unfavorably compared to Bugs.
But for that matter, I don’t like Bugs Bunny anymore anyway. He changed from being a trickster who outwitted his foes to an insufferable know-it-all.
Honestly, have ANY of the Warner characters changed for the better since, say, 1960? Perhaps even as far back as 1950? They went from being true characters with personalities to stock types whose stories were controlled by marketing.

Cartoon Central April 19, 2005 at 10:26 pm

Happy Birthday, Daffy!

It’s Daffy Duck’s birthday!…